Thursday, September 6, 2007

Expect the Unexpected

That has been so true for my life this past year.

Let me start by telling you a little bit of my story. Last year I was a student at the University of Waterloo. I loved it there; I had great friends, I enjoyed my program, and I was pretty involved with extraciricular activities. First year was a ball, and I was pumped for what was instore for the years to come. In my mind, I was going to be there for the duration of my program ( 4 years). However, a friend of mine introduced me to a camp called Medeba... and life changed.

I had been camp before and my experience was not a positive one, but when I heard about the opportunity to work at Medeba I felt God calling me to be there. So, off I went. Something clicked while I was there. I was in my element; outdoors, impacting lives, working with kids and I growing deeper with God.

While at camp, I was offered a position in a program called the Leadership Developement Program. (LDP) This would take me away from Waterloo and all the foundations I had laid there. Logically, it made no sense for me to stay, but something made me go for it anyways.
I had an incredible experience. I had the opportuniy to learn new skills ( everything from white water kayaking to ice climbing), meet some awesome people, develope my relationship with God and really just grow.

While I was in LDP I met a couple named Scott and Patsy. They are missionaries to Brazil and are planning on planting a camp there. And I felt God calling me to join. I approached them after months of prayer and they were thrilled about the possibility of joining their team. So, since then I have been pursuing that.

God has totally been walking ahead of me. Already he has provided so much. I was accepted on to a Mission's agency called Put the Word Into Action Inc. They are close to Medeba and believe me this has been a huge blessing. God has also placed so many people in my life who have been supporting me in so many ways; prayer, finances or whatever other means they have. It has been truly incredible and like I said before..expect the unexpected.

Honestly, I am so excited and nervous in so many ways. The plan is to leave for Brazil in Novemeber, providing that everything comes together. I am humbled that God wants to use me in this way; I am nervous about the sacrifices and the unfamiliar territory; I am pumped for what He is doing!

I'll be keeping you guys updated!

No comments: