Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Our God is an Awesome God


*Shannon, Patsy and I*



"Be still and know that I am God."

Hey Friends!

This past month has been a crazy one. I am pretty sure that I have said that every update. But the truth is, since I arrived here at the end of November, things have not stopped. I guess birthing a camp is a lot of work !

In the middle of February, Quest ran it's first official camp! Our goal was to run a camp for potential future staffers. Camp here is such a new idea, so we wanted to 'train' our staff by having them participate in a week at camp while at the same time attending sessions to learn about being a camp counselor. It was a blast. Our prayer was to have 15 campers.. and God blessed us with 13. Each one of them were hand picked by God and that become so evident to us at the week went on. Let's just say it was a very different staff training expereience then the one we had earlier in January. This time, the staff were excited about camp and the impact that the ministry can have. It was very cool... each one of them was full of passion.

The camp was an incredible experience for me as well. I was in a little bit of an exciting position. I had a large leadership role ( in terms of behind the scenes things). The day before the camp I went with a group of staff to get things set up. I had about 4-5 people looking to me for direction. It was a weird and humbling experience; they looked up to me and respected me even though I do not know their language well. Needless to say.. it was an incredible time to practise my Portuguese. At times I was very unsure if I was communicating clearly... but everything seemed to get down well... so i guess that was a positive sign.
*Getting Camp ready. Our theme was Indianna Jones and the Sword of the Kingdom.*

Also, during the week, Nathan and I taught a session on Adventure Learning. Now that was an experience! Also, I pulled together enough courage to teach a little bit in Portuguese. I thank God that he has given me the ability to learn the language so quickly.

*This is a part of the session Nathan and I taught. Can you see me speaking portuguese!?*

I could go on and on about how incredible the week went. Let's just say God was there... present.. and moving. My passion for camping grew and my desire to be part of the ministry deepened.


*Me and some of the girls at camp!*

Right now, we are in the middle or A LOT. Property to raise money for ( or at least to trust God with that one), churches are inviting us to do more programs with them, advertising for english camp, continuing portuguese studies, preparing camp activities and so much more.

Guys, I can not even begin to tell you how much I am learning here. I am being stretched beyond anything I would have ever expected. My love for God has deepened, my love for Brazil is growing and my love for camping is solidified. I can still not believe God has choosen me to do His work here and be part of this ministry!

Thank you all for you prayers. 100 days in brazil ....80 more to go! BRING IT ON!

Becky





No comments: